Thursday, June 03, 2010

Penguin Cafe

Recently, I discovered the music of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. You can read all about them here . My favorite piece of theirs would be Perpetuum Mobile . A piece of melody that I am sure you have heard in many art house films or TV programs since it was first produced.

In the wiki article of the PCO, under the History section, there is quotation by the late founder of the group itself. The last few sentences of the quotation is very impressionable to me:-

It started out 'I am the proprietor of the Penguin Cafe, I will tell you things at random' and it went on about how the quality of randomness, spontaneity, surprise, unexpectedness and irrationality in our lives is a very precious thing. And if you suppress that to have a nice orderly life, you kill off what's most important. Whereas in the Penguin Cafe your unconscious can just be. It's acceptable there, and that's how everybody is. There is an acceptance there that has to do with living the present with no fear in ourselves.

It disheartens me when I was sharing this with a fellow who I IM with from time to time that he should said he had abandoned his random behavior and find much joy in being orderly, very much due to the nature of his work. I cannot say the same for all adults, but in my living experience as a member of the working force, some random distraction is always good, even at work. Of course, being serious at work is very much in my system, but taking a break from all this seriousness every 1 or 2 hours give my spirit a lift. So when I am off from work, I am determined to be random, to be funny and humorous. To see my husband smiling and laughing at my antics is a joy in the evenings.

After all is said and done, I like to advise that adulthood should not be the end of childhood and innocent merriment. Each of us has a private wound that we lick on from time to time, but I am giving you a bandaid with pink and yellow flowers print to patch on that silly ol' wound, and I will hold your hand and lead you where the milk and honey flow like rivers do.

Go watch a comedy and laugh louder than usual, or text message your friend at 3:00 AM to tell them is time to wee-wee. There is no point in the inhibition. Get a private joke instead.

No comments: